A temporary visitor at McPhee Campground every evening. Her name is Mildred.
Camp hosting in a truck is doable. Most camp hosts are required to have hard sided living quarters and the aluminum topper seems to qualify. The items on the pros and cons of camp hosting are identical.
- Money You get some. The number of hours that you are allotted and paid for are less than are required to do a good job. For example, on the first job there were 3 bathrooms and 13 sites. I was allotted 11.5 hours. I averaged 20 hours a week. The second job was 22 bathrooms, 65 sites. I was allotted 37.5 hours/week. I averaged 72.
- A Place to Live If you love a certain area of the country or a certain element of nature you can park in an ideal location. You will get to know the nearby towns intimately. Since you will be in the same area for 4-5 months this can get old if you like to travel.
- People to Meet I checked in a friend I hadn’t seen in 30 years, I made friends with anglers, physiotherapists, Vietnam vets, artists, and children. I also had to deal with slobs, people who let their misbehaving dogs run loose, ATVs racing around the campground after 10 pm, and two car limits that morphed into 8 cars.
- Weather With a truck you need a tarp to keep out blazing sun and/or pouring rain. You are more exposed than any trailer or motor home. The tarp I used was perfect (thank you Bill and Jane!) except in gusty or high winds.
- Personal Time You will have time to hike or fish. You do have days off. However you will be interrupted unexpectedly and constantly when you are “on duty”. It is not a job for someone who wants to write the great American novel, or even read one. Living in a truck you will not have the luxury of shutting the door while cooking dinner, but I invited people under the tarp as I was frying up fish and they thought the whole thing was “delightful”.
I will do this again. I found that getting to know Dolores, Colorado , living in the mountains, meeting interesting people and getting paid all contribute to a repeat experience. And there are opportunities all over the USA.