Truck Camping and a Fire

“I never have fires.” So said I for years. But it is cold in the mornings in the desert. I snuggle with the teddy bear, named Strength, until I have to get up.

I caved. For the first time in 45 years of camping I have started having a fire in the mornings with coffee.

I wish that I had started this ritual years ago. So sweet to have warm legs and hands. 5 AM in the desert is very chilly, especially if there is any wind. The wood is so dry that starting the fire is a snap. I just wipe a paper towel in some bacon grease and light it under the wood. Woosh. Its lit. The bacon grease comes from a $1.50 jar at Ken’s. What luxury.

There are several places selling wood here in Quartzsite. Most offer a selection of pinon, juniper or pine. Delicious smell. I can have three morning fires per box of wood. $10. I spend the first day chopping chunks off of some of the larger pieces with my handy Fiskars hatchet, then laying out the wood for the morning’s fire. I love the process. I also like the mellow way it starts the day.

I don’t have any normal fire tools … like a poking stick, or a grate to cook over. I spend the money out of the “entertainment” budget line. I am planning on doing two boxes per month, instead of buying coffee or cookies at the Pilot gas station. Yumm! I got a present of a lottery ticket from the folks at Pilot. If I am a winner the fires will happen every possible morning. I am hooked.

This entry was posted in Truck Camping Hints and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Truck Camping and a Fire

1. Cindy L Rogers says:

LOve that Pict of you and your Teddy Bear, you both look so cute and cozy! What a nice luxury to have a fire during the chilly part of the morning. Life looks pretty darn good for you. take care, xoxoxo Cindy

• Mas Prema says:

It is so cozy. The teddy bear is usually my pillow for reading, but by morning she is in front of my face. The warmth in the morning is very delicious. I listen to NPR, drink coffee and watch the sun light up the desert. The fire is edging into necessity instead of luxury. Falling in love with the whole thing. Thinking if you often. Hugs to you and Batman.

2. Wendy Ellsworth says:

Happy New Year to you too Pickett! May you be rewarded with some gold flakes in your pan and bright fires to keep you warm on cold mornings! I enjoy keeping up with you through your blog. Stay healthy my old friend. It’s our 55th Reunion in 2021! How did that happen?!?

3. Harley Gurl says:

So awesome you can enjoy a fire. I cannot camp without one. Our restrictions here are fires in our backyards at home, so when we camp we walk around pick up our kindling and then pay for our wood at various places, so not to transport bugs and critters from one area to another. I love your teddy bear’s name. He sounds brave LOL!!
    I am wishing you a safe and Happy New Year. We are currently in lockdown in my province so means another 24 days of quiet. If our RV was not in storage for winter I could be camping. LOL If borders had no restrictions AZ is starting to look inviting. I also have friends in Maricopa whom I would love to visit.

• Mas Prema says:

The fire is a new treat for me. AZ is very inviting. Somehow 65 in February is magic. And I fell in love with the desert. The lockdown will end. This year in Quartzsite is calmer than usual without Canadians. And many new campers thinking that living in a rv will keep them safe. Interesting.
      Thank you for the New Years good wishes. I hope yours is joyous and healthy.

Liked by 1 person

4. Jane KingsleyAlder Dinsmoor says:

Can’t you pick up sticks and branches on your wanderings and not have to buy wood as much ? A quiet fire is a lovely time for reverie though when it’s cold outside. Be warm and well !!

• Mas Prema says:

No. The desert is fragile and the Bureau of Land Management doesn’t want you to even pick up a stick. I don’t mind paying. The couple that I buy from works hard in the summer and the wood is dry and split and of a size I can use. I am warm and having a wonderful time. Hugs.❤️

5. Chuck says:

Hard for me to imagine going without a fire. (but have never purchased wood. sheltered life I rekon)
    Looks like you are doing fine…I’m admiring not only your fire, but also your chair. Whats the brand, if you dont mind my asking?

Seasons greetings, Happy New Year!

• Mas Prema says:

I have been trying to figure out the brand of chair myself. Only see them for sale in Quartzsite. Very light aluminum, very sturdy. They have NO marking or branding. The sellers are silent on their source. A mystery. A perfect chair for camping.

• Chuck says:

Regarding the chair: REI sells a chair made by YETI; yep the same outfit that markets expensive coolers. Their chair is very similar to yours, but without the little side table. The Yeti chair is priced around $300. Anyway, it looks excellent for the use intended.
        Thanks for the reply.

• Mas Prema says:

This one cost me $45. Bought it 2 years ago and it is still holding up. You may have to come to Quartzsite!

6. Wendy Ellsworth says:

Sounds lovely Pickett and warm! Our furnace just went out again and the repair man can’t come until Wednesday. Thank goodness we have a wood stove that can help keep the house somewhat tolerable here in the mountains of western NC. Fire is a blessing in all the ways you can possibly think about it! (except for wildfires which are a completely different issue!)

• Mas Prema says:

Hope you stay warm Wendy. It certainly is chilly in western NC with the high humidity. I lived with a wood stove as my only heat source when I was living in Alexander. Hope your furnace gets fixed! Happy new year.